New survey: The Vulnerability and Safety of Mosques and Muslim Congregations in Sweden 2018
The Vulnerability and Safety of Mosques and Muslim Congregations in Sweden 2018. A new empirical study about Muslim congregations' exposure to physical attacks, threats and intimidation, based on a survey on 106 Muslim congregations in Sweden.
Freedom of religion is a fundamental human right and is endorsed by the European Convention on Human Rights, which is Swedish law since 1995. In Sweden, freedom of religion is part of the fundamental rights protected by the Instrument of Government (ch. 2:1). In this context, threats, vandalism and violence targeting Muslim communities, are not only a matter of security for the particular members of the congregations, but also an issue of human rights and democracy. Attacks on mosques and Muslim communities are attacks on human rights and the constitutional law that upholds the Swedish government.
The study was conducted by Professor Mattias Gardell at the Centre for Multidisciplinary Studies on Racism (CEMFOR) at Uppsala University on the initiative of the Islamic Cooperation Council (Islamiska samarbetsrådet, ISR) and with financial support by The Swedish Agency for Support to Faith Communities (SST). The reference group consisted of Mohamed Temsamani, Mustafa Setkic and Haider Ibrahim.
The full study can be downloaded and read here (in Swedish).
Mattias Gardell in an article in the Swedish daily Aftonbladet: “An assault on Swedish democracy: Threats and violence targeting Muslim congregations is an issue of human rights and democracy” (in Swedish).
Read more about our research projects
Meet our researchers
Researchers at CEMFOR
Watch video recordings of our program at Almedalen Week
Our seminars and lectures from Almedalen
- "An assault on Swedish democracy: Threats and violence targeting Muslim congregations is an issue of human rights and democracy", writes Mattias Gardell in Aftonbladet
- New edition of Unveiling the French Republic by Per-Erik Nilsson
- Video recordings from our seminars at Almedalen
- Urban Terror: The Case of Lone Wolf Peter Mangs - Mattias Gardell
- "Muslimer – Ett lovligt byte" - Mattias Gardell skriver i Aftonbladet
Art exhibition and performance piece: Mödrars Manifest / Manifiesto de las Madres / Mothers' Manifest
Seminar: Racism within the legal system – from the police to the courts.
Seminar: Snapshots of the Border Walls - Critical Border Studies
Seminar: Rasism, ojämlikhet och arbete i Sverige – aktuella perspektiv
Seminar: The Swedes and their fathers. DNA-Genealogy as Biological Citizenship
- Urban Terror: The Case of Lone Wolf Peter Mangs. 2018
- Den ensamme terroristen?: Om lone wolves, näthat och brinnande flyktingförläggningar. 2017
- French Populism and Discourses on Secularism. 2018
- Open Source Jihad: Problematizing the Academic Discourse on "Islamic Terrorism" in Contemporary Europe. 2018
- Unveiling the French Republic: National Identity, Secularism, and Islam in Contemporary France. 2017
- Where's Charlie?: The Discourse of Religious Violence in France Post-7/1/2015. 2017